Monday, July 26, 2010

(Because) we've got a great webdesigner, our website is terrific

I am a "critical friend" and didn't even know it!  My church had a website designed by a professional.  Then the priest changed. Then the administrator changed.  Suddenly news and pew-sheets were at least six months old.  The web designer WAS good – but he could not make up for outdated content.  

Now that the content has been updated, two main questions remain: what do we want to achieve with the site? How much ongoing effort are we willing to put into it? A web designer is like a hired driver: the client determines the destination.

To maintain an excellent website, the question of desire vs commitment needs careful thought and honest communication. Wishful thinking will not do.  One possible answer may be that less (with consistent quality) is more. Do not forget that a church is mainly run by volunteers. Enthusiasm runs high for new projects, but long-term maintenance is often less exciting.

And finally: Does a slick website truly represent the community? Should there be room for people to be involved even if that means a less-than-perfect image? I don't believe this decision should be left to the web designer!

I hope my church remembers I am a friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment